Let’s say you own a funeral home business in Tulsa, Oklahoma and while things are going well, you can’t shake the feeling that you could be growing faster. Referral marketing isn’t bringing you as much funeral home business as it used to, and you don’t have the time or the resources to run a commercial on local TV.
So, you decide to explore digital marketing. To get a high-level sense of where you currently stand, you do a quick Google search for your funeral home’s name. Unfortunately, your quick search reveals a list of your three biggest competitors. Not only are their names featured prominently on the search page, but they’ve also made it extremely easy for their prospects—i.e., your prospects—to get in contact with them.
The good news is that this is a simple problem to fix. With online reputation management, you can turn platforms like Google, Facebook, and Yelp into major revenue generators.
What Is Online Reputation Management?
Online reputation management is the practice of improving the perception of your business in the eyes of potential customers. Online reputation management involves two things:
1. Identifying the online resources that potential client families may use to learn more about your funeral home business.
2. Taking steps to make sure those resources cast your funeral home business in a positive light.
The goal of online reputation management is to grow your customer base and increase your revenue. If your budget allows, a Digital Marketing Professional can be a key player to add to your funeral home business as they can facilitate all your reputation management tasks. If you’re a DIY-er, then try exploring these top areas that will work to enhance your funeral home’s reputation:
- Search engine optimization (SEO): Getting your website to the top of the search results means engaging in search engine optimization, also known as SEO. As the name suggests, SEO is all about optimizing your website in order to make it as visible as possible in the search engine results.
- Google My Business: This is a free tool that allows you to connect with potential customers in the Google search results and on Google Maps. To create your profile, simply head to the Google My Business website, click the “Manage Now” button, and start entering your business’ information. Be sure to triple-check that your name, address, and phone number are accurate.
- Facebook: Google isn’t the only resource your potential customers are using to learn more about your funeral home business. According to a recent study, 52 percent of people have discovered new businesses on Facebook. On a monthly basis, in other words, there’s an incredible amount of opportunity to grow your customer base. Whether or not you capitalize on that opportunity depends on how much effort you put into your business’ Facebook page. To build your Facebook’s business page, access the creation center and take care of the basics: name, category, address, phone number, and profile picture (i.e., your logo) to get started.
- Yelp: Yelp is an online platform that connects consumers with local businesses. Much like Facebook and Google My Business, it allows you to provide basic information (address, hours, products and services, etc.) and it allows customers to voice their honest opinions. Getting your business on Yelp is free and easy. Simply head to the Yelp for Business website and click the “Manage my free listing” button. If your business is already on Yelp, you can claim it. If not, you can create the listing from scratch.
Remember, not only is reputation management important in driving business, but it also reinforces employees’ commitment to your funeral home business, and gives them confidence in the brand, further benefiting the company as a whole. Take control of your reputation today and enjoy the rewards of your work tomorrow!
Since our inception, Osiris Software has been helping funeral homes, cemetery and crematory businesses prosper through innovative solutions and world class customer service.